Monday, January 10, 2011

SYTYC: Week One Revealed & Week Two Voting

Below is my project for Week 1: Thrift Store Challenge on So You Think You're Crafty

Thank you to everyone who voted for me. Don't know if you figured out which project was mine or not? But I barely escaped elimination. Hopefully I will do better this week. You can head on over to the website and vote for this weeks project with the theme Kids Can Do.

Thrifted Table Make Over

No need for these tables to hit the trash they just need a little love:


So technically this was a rummage sale find. I hope that is alright. This summer I was looking for a small table for a small space. I really liked the idea of nesting tables so I could have more space if I needed it, but didn't want to spend a lot of money as the table would seldom be used. These are originally Ikea nesting tables and I think there is supposed to be a third one. When I came across them there were only two. They were a couple of bucks and slightly beat up, but I figured I could paint them or something. So the before picture is in fact that, my bad attempt at painting them. They started out white and you'll notice the chipping. I thought that spray paint for plastic would work on laminated particle board and well it didn't. So it was back to the drawing board or send them to the alley for someone else to try to love.

Here is what I came up with:



I used fabric and Modge Podge Hard Coat to create the new table tops. Even the black is fabric as paint wasn't holding up on the particle board. So far they are working great. I think I am going to do something similar on my night stands but probably a cute quilt block.

2 comments:

AllieKatMom said...

Oh the bird so gives this one away as being yours!!

Kelly said...

I voted! I knew which one was yours (duh!)