Yes, I made the dogs crocheted sweaters. Peanut really seems to like hers, Lucky just looks humiliated. Lucky’s doesn’t fit her as well, I didn’t want it to be too tight in the front because she has several extra chins and a serious turkey neck and already has problems breathing. (Which incase you weren’t sure which dog was which that should clear it up.) I used Jiffy Think & Quick yarn it is my favorite. There was no pattern I just made it up as I went along, even crocheting one section of peanuts while it was on her body. Jason doesn’t approve of the sweaters, so we only wear them when it is cold and he isn’t around. I thought making Lucky’s in Bear’s colors would help Jason come around to the doggy sweater idea, but it didn’t. Oh well, I think they look super cute!
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
I finished my pin! (Those are flowers not the bird’s feet.) I even made my own pin back. It is a good thing my camera isn’t very good with the close-ups because the pin back is a little crude. Which is fine since it is the back and I suppose my first attempt. I probably could have sanded the final piece it a bit more and maybe even polished it, but the pin back was so much work that I was kind of excited and glad to just be done with it. I did a ton of practice rivets on a scrap piece of metal and they were looking pretty good. I felt very confident to move forward and try it on my final piece. So of course I do my first rivet on my real piece and it is way too huge, oh well!
I am just excited about how cute it looks on my coat. I love the color contrast of the bright purple-pink and the copper. I think a lot my future pieces will be cut-outs that are similar with pretty fabric adhered to the back. I also have plans for pieces that are sewed to cute bags. I think I like the idea of combining basic metal pieces with fabric then sticking strictly to intricate metal works.
Friday, January 22, 2010
I feel like posting something I’ve actually finished. I made these dog coats for Peanut and Lucky in the late fall of ’09. The coats seem to be doing the job of keeping these shorthair pups a little bit warm on cold days. I used an old coat of mine that was made from a waterproof material and a fuzzy blanket to create these. I just made it up as I went along there is was no pattern, or my own pattern I guess you could say. The existing pockets of the coat made for cute little pouches where you can stash a poop bag on the back of the newly designed coats. I also worked the existing belt of the coat and belt loop into the new dog coat design. I originally used velcro as a fastener both on the neck and under the stomach, but have replaced them for snaps to help the coats stay on better. I embroidered Peanut’s with of course a peanut and Lucky’s with a clover. And I just realized how bad it looks see the word ‘finished’ over those very sweet doggy faces, but I think I’ll leave it anyway. No animals were harmed during the making of this blahg post.